Friday, October 16, 2009

A Muse (Reginald Shepherd)

Oh, ick. I knew it would come to this. Browsing at random, I came across this poem by somebody I've never heard of. He's famous enough to be included on poets.org, but I swear, if I had run across this poem not attached to a site I respect I would have thought it were written by a teenager who was sick with love for the first time.

I'm not sure how to talk about this poem. I've always had positive, sometimes very positive, things to say about the quotidian poem. With this one, however, I'm at a dry spell. The phrasing I don't find original or moving. The concepts seem well, duh. Even the title bugs me.

Something nice......something nice......hmm, I like that the phrasing is controlled. That the 16 lines form couplets. 16 seems a likely age for the speaker and couplets seem to be N's ideal.

From that, it seems that this poem was probably constructed by someone with talent, not just a love-sick teen. Perhaps, I am not seeing the deeper side to the piece. Who knows? I could look again, but I am tired from a long day and week. So, I will let it be and if anyone sees more to this poem, please tell me how you read it.

Favorite line: "simple birds staking claims/on no sleep. Whatever they call those particular birds."

1 comment:

  1. Uh oh.....affluent white woman disparaging poem of black poet who came up from the projects.....

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of today's poem?