Saturday, October 17, 2009

The World is Too Much With Us (William Wordsworth)

The last poem was a disappointment, so, it's true, for today's post I found a universally respected and loved poet and poem. And yep, I find much to love in the poem.

One. I love the title/first line. I'm not sure how or when, but I know I have heard that phrase before. It really lays out the theme of the whole poem. I mean, how can the world be too much??? How can "us" be without the "world"??? It can't, or at least, it cannot naturally be true. You know something is amiss right from the start and that is true great talent.

Two. It's a sonnet! Although, I don't know what kind exactly. It's 14 lines, so that makes it a sonnet, but it does not have the rhyme scheme that is most common with sonnets. This poem rhymes abbaabbacdcdcd. So, it's definitely some scheme, I just don't know what kind.

Three. Nature is set up on the other side of the scale against humankind. They both react to the other. But wait, I guess Wordsworth is saying that Nature and humankind have fallen out of sync since it says, "Little we see in Nature that is ours". Later in the poem, N does wish, does cry out to be reconnected with the natural world. He wishes that being in Nature he'd "Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn." N is hoping that the two will be connected again in the future. Though, it doesn't indicate whether they ever do, so it seems Wordsworth is pretty pessimistic.

Favorite line: "For this, for everything, we are out of tune;/It moves us not.--Great God! I'd rather be/A pagan"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?