Friday, October 2, 2009

In a Station of the Metro (Ezra Pound)

It's been a long day. I was searching for short forms on poets.org when I discovered this famous poem by Ezra Pound listed under haiku. I had never considered this a haiku. Nor am I clear about how poets.org put it in that category. Haiku is a form that is three lines of certain metrical feet: 5, 7, 5. However, this poem is only two lines long. If I were to divide it into three line then the way I see it is as a mini-poem of 5, 7, 7 feet. So, almost a haiku, but not quite.

However, even if it's not a formal haiku there is no doubt that it is a great poem. I think poetry is about creating images. Images that ring very clear, but with words that no one has thought of before. It's also, of course, about economy of words. With those qualifications then this poem is pretty perfect poetry.

Favorite line: "Petals on a wet, black bough."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?