Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Lamia (John Keats)

How could I resist? I opened poets.org looking for a poem to talk about this evening. There on the home page was this funny picture:



Ha!

So I clicked the link and searched for poems dealing with vampires. I simply had to pick the poem titled Lamia since that's the name of my boyfriend's mother. And it was written by John Keats! Woah.

I don't know if Lamia is really about turning into a vampire. I don't see anything that specific in it. Clearly, someone is turning into something new. And what a transformation! It's so dramatic. So full of importance. Such old, poetic language. It even rhymes. I'm impressed. Wow-e.

Favorite line: "Eclips'd her crescents, and lick'd up her stars"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?