Monday, October 26, 2009

Variations on a Theme by William Carlos Williams (Kenneth Koch)

This poem I adore. It also gave me the idea to create my own 'Variation on a Theme' which has recently been published. I owe much hearty laughter and a published poem to this poem by Kenneth Koch.

This is the only poem (out of all the poems I have read) that I cannot read with a straight face. I laugh so deeply when I read this poem. Always have and I guess I always will. That is some crazy level of skill to create a joke that is hilarious every single time you hear it.

I just cannot read the second stanza without my smile breaking through."We laughed at the hollyhocks together/and then I sprayed them with lye./Forgive me. I simply do not know what I am doing." :) :) :) :)

Favorite line: "We laughed at the hollyhocks together/and then I sprayed them with lye."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?